Assam Jatiya Parishad Demands Fast-Track Court in Zubeen Garg Death Case, Accuses State Government of Delaying Justice

NorthEast Now
Assam Jatiya Parishad Demands Fast-Track Court in Zubeen Garg Death Case, Accuses State Government of Delaying Justice
Full News
Share:

Guwahati:Amid continuing political undercurrents in Assam, theAssam Jatiya Parishad(AJP) on Saturday intensified its criticism of the State government over the alleged delay in constituting a fast-track court in the death of music iconZubeen Garg, and announced a public protest on February 27 demanding time-bound justice.At what the party described as a “non-political” press conference in Guwahati, AJP presidentLurinjyoti Gogoisaid that despite categorical assurances from Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, no fast-track court had been constituted even 71 days after the filing of the charge sheet.Recalling that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) submitted its report on December 12, Gogoi said the Chief Minister had on the same day declared that the entire trial would be conducted in a fast-track court, that the guilty would face stringent punishment, and that justice would be delivered. “Two months and nine days have passed since that promise. Yet, we have not seen any notification or visible step towards the formation of such a court,” he said.Gogoi alleged that the government had failed in its constitutional and “national” responsibility to expedite the trial. He reiterated that the Chief Minister had described the death as a “murder” on the floor of the Assam Legislative Assembly, but has not ensured what he termed the strictest punishment for those responsible.Raising pointed questions, the AJP leader asked whether the delay stemmed from ignorance, negligence, or fear. He contended that once a fast-track court was set up, the proceedings would move swiftly and could either result in immediate conviction or reopen the question of bail as the trial commenced. “It appears the government is wary of public anger and of what might come out once the trial begins in earnest,” he said.Gogoi further alleged that there was a lack of political will to pursue justice. “There is silence from the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Union Home Minister Amit Shah, the BJP leadership, and the State government. No one seems to be moving forward to ensure justice,” he said.Questioning the scope of the investigation, Gogoi said 13 persons were reportedly present at the time of the incident. While five were arrested and three remain in judicial custody, he claimed that others had not faced adequate scrutiny. Referring to earlier remarks in which some among them were described as “bright” individuals, he said social or economic standing could not be grounds for exemption from due process. “There is no rule that the wealthy or the ‘bright’ cannot commit crimes. If they are culpable, they must face the law,” he asserted.The AJP chief also alluded to public speculation regarding alleged business links involving certain Singapore-based Assamese individuals and sought clarity on purported connections between the State’s semiconductor project and individuals such as Abhimanyu Talukdar. He said such questions, widely discussed in public, required transparent answers.Bringing the matter into the electoral domain, Gogoi recalled that the Chief Minister had once stated that if he failed to secure justice in the case before elections, votersshould not support him. “Though this is a non-political press conference, we remind the people of Assam of that political statement,” he said.The party announced that it would hold an agitation on February 27 with the twin demands of the immediate constitution of a fast-track court and expeditious justice. He alleged that the government might attempt to notify such a court on the eve of elections for political gain, but had thus far refrained from doing so because a swift trial could expose a lack of intent to punish the guilty.He also accused the State government of symbolic neglect. Referring to the 9thAssam State Film Awardsat Jyoti Chitraban, he claimed that no official tribute was paid to the late singer. He further said that construction work at the proposed ‘Zubeen Kshetra’ had not commenced in earnest and that basic amenities, including sanitation, were reportedly inadequate.Contrasting the Chief Minister’s public projection of himself as a devoted admirer of Garg, Gogoi alleged that he had neither visited thememorial siteafter the cremation nor watched the singer’s final film,Roi Roi Binale. “There is a visible gap between public statements and concrete action,” he said, terming the delay in judicial proceedings and the state of the memorial site as reflective of neglect and disrespect.Reiterating the demand for the immediate formation of a fast-track court, the AJP said it would intensify its agitation if the government failed to act.Related

Disclaimer: This content has not been generated, created or edited by Achira News.
Publisher: NorthEast Now

Want to join the conversation?

Download our mobile app to comment, share your thoughts, and interact with other readers.

Assam Jatiya Parishad Demands Fast-Track Court in Zubeen Garg Death Case, Accuses State Government of Delaying Justice | Achira News