Senior Ukrainian and Russian officials are set to meet in Geneva, Switzerland, for a two-day round of talks starting Tuesday, days before the fourth anniversary of Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. The negotiations, brokered by the United States, follow earlier discussions in Abu Dhabi and are expected to include representatives from Washington, Kyiv and Moscow, The Guardian reported. Despite renewed diplomatic momentum, expectations of a breakthrough remain low, with Russia continuing to press what Kyiv views as maximalist demands. Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said the Geneva meeting would cover a “broader range of issues" than earlier rounds, including territorial questions and other proposals put forward by Moscow, according to the report. The talks mark the first time the current negotiation track will be held on European soil, after previous rounds in Abu Dhabi and Istanbul. Washington is understood to have backed Geneva as the venue, with US envoys scheduled for other diplomatic meetings in the city the same week. The negotiations are scheduled as a two-day meeting beginning Tuesday, just days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Russia’s negotiating team will be headed by Vladimir Medinsky, a senior adviser to President Vladimir Putin described as an arch-conservative figure who has previously questioned Ukrainian sovereignty. He will be joined by Igor Kostyukov, chief of Russian military intelligence, and Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Galuzin, along with nearly two dozen officials, the report said. Ukraine is expected to send the same delegation as in previous rounds, led by Rustem Umerov, secretary of Ukraine’s national security and defence council, The Guardian reported. While earlier talks focused largely on ceasefire proposals, the Geneva discussions are expected to address a wider agenda, including: Ukraine has reiterated it will not give up territory in the Donbas region. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said “allowing the aggressor to take something is a big mistake" and warned that Russia cannot be stopped “with kisses or flowers". Kyiv and Washington also differ on security guarantees, with the US proposing a 15-year commitment while Ukraine is seeking assurances lasting 30 to 50 years, the report said. US President Donald Trump suggested Ukraine needed to move faster to secure an agreement, saying Kyiv was holding up progress toward ending the war. “Zelenskyy needs to act. Russia wants to make a deal. He needs to act, otherwise he will miss a great opportunity," Trump told reporters. However, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington remained uncertain whether Moscow was serious about ending the war. The decision to hold talks in Geneva is seen as being pushed by Washington, which is coordinating diplomatic efforts and had other meetings scheduled in the city the same week, The Guardian reported. No. Ukrainian officials have signalled there is little expectation of a major political breakthrough, though Kyiv says it will participate constructively in the talks, the report said. Medinsky’s inclusion has drawn attention in Kyiv because of his past views questioning Ukrainian nationhood. His presence is being interpreted by some Ukrainian officials as a sign the Kremlin may not be approaching the negotiations with full seriousness, The Guardian reported.
Russia-Ukraine Talks Resume in Geneva Amid Low Expectations for Breakthrough
News18•

Full News
Share:
Disclaimer: This content has not been generated, created or edited by Achira News.
Publisher: News18
Want to join the conversation?
Download our mobile app to comment, share your thoughts, and interact with other readers.